Grantees of the funding initiative "Open Up – New Research Spaces for the Humanities and Cultural Studies" are invited to Hanover for a Kick-off meeting from 11 December to 12, 2023 at Herrenhausen Palace.
With the Kick-off meeting "Open Up" we would like to invite the grantees of the second call to network, to present and discuss their research projects and to get new impulses for the implementation of their projects.
Below you van download the booklet.
With the funding initiative "Open Up - New Research Spaces for the Humanities and Cultural Studies", the Volkswagen Foundation supports explorative cooperative projects that open up new research and knowledge spaces in an original, unconventional way through the joint exploration of complex and previously unexplored research topics. The second call for proposals recently ended with the funding of 12 collaborative projects.
Do you have questions about our scientific events? Check out our FAQ!
FAQ scientific events
Where do the Volkswagen Foundation events take place?
The events take place at the Xplanatorium Herrenhausen Palace, Herrenhäuser Straße 5, 30419 Hanover. Access by public transport: Üstra lines 4 and 5, stop 'Herrenhäuser Gärten'
How do I get to the Xplanatorium Herrenhausen?
- by public transport: tram lines 4 and 5, bus line 136: stop "Herrenhäuser Gärten" or "Schaumburgstraße".
- by bike: There are bike racks in front of the Xplanatorium. E-bike batteries should be taken into the building and not left on the bike.
- by car: The Xplanatorium is located within Hanover's environmental zone. Motor vehicles are only allowed to drive in the low emission zone with a green fine dust sticker. Parking spaces (with parking fee) are available at the "Great Garden".
- by train: Hanover main station is excellently connected through many long-distance trains from all over Germany and in some cases from other European countries.
- by plane: Please check whether a flight can be replaced by a train connection. Hanover Airport is directly connected to the S-Bahn network in the greater Hanover area. Please take the S5 towards Paderborn or Bad Pyrmont from the airport to get to the city center.
How much are the fees for participating at academic events?
There are no registration fees for participating at conferences, symposia or academic workshops.
When can I check in and get my name tag at the venue?
You can check in 60 minutes before the event begins.
Is the venue barrier-free?
The Xplanatorium Herrenhausen is barrier-free.
Are the academic events recorded or broadcast live (streaming)?
As a rule, academic events are not recorded or broadcast live (streaming) in order to enable the participants to talk about research results that have not yet been published and to obtain corresponding feedback.
I wish to attend an academic event as member of the audience. Who will cover my travel and accommodation costs and do the necessary bookings?
The participants bear the costs for travel and accommodation themselves. We ask all participants without an active part to take care of their own hotel and travel arrangements. If we provide a contingent of rooms at a specific hotel, you will find more information on the respective event pages.
I am a speaker, chair, or travel grantee at an academic event. Who will cover my travel and accommodation costs and do the necessary bookings?
Please get in touch with the respective contact person for the event. You can find the contact details on the website for the event.
Are food preferences and/or intolerances taken care of?
They are usually taken care of. Please indicate your preferences when registering for the event. Catering/Meals at Volkswagen Foundation events are all vegetarian with several vegan options.
Is there a cloakroom?
At Volkswagen Foundation events held at the Xplanatorium Herrenhausen, you are welcome to use our cloakroom free of charge.
I lost or forgot something at an event at the Xplanatorium, whom can I contact?
Please contact Schloss Herrenhausen Veranstaltungs- und Betriebs GmbH at: +49 511-763 744-0
Who can I contact if I have further questions?
If you have any questions, you can reach our hotline from Mon-Fri 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at +59 511 8381-200
For further questions please contact