Forum "Experiment!" 2017Begin: Sep 26 '17, 9:00 am | End: Sep 26 '17, 10:00 pm | Herrenhausen Palace
The grantees of the third call in the funding initiative "Experiment! - In Search of bold Research Ideas" will report on achievements and failures encountered during their exploratory work.
The funding initiative 'Experiment!' supports radically new topics and approaches in science, engineering as well as in the life sciences. Researchers who want to put a potentially transformative research idea to the test are given the opportunity to demonstrate preliminary evidence for a concept's potential during an exploratory phase of 18 months duration which is funded with up to 100,000 Euro. The funding period of the third round is coming to an end and the (interim) results of the projects will be presented at the 'Forum Experiment!'.
At the 'Forum Experiment!' the foundation explicitly does not only value success stories. A truly daring idea is characterized by exploring hitherto unknown territory, and thus requires a readiness to take and share risks by the grantees and the foundation alike. Hence, a concept failure as well as unexpected findings are considered acceptable outcomes. The forum focusses on presentations of preliminary results and also aims at networking among the grantees, jury members, and the foundation's staff.
Session 1 - Physics & Engineering
- Nano-drones maneuvered by light in 3D using optical spin-orbit coupling
- 3D direct writing of ceramics free-forms for medical implants from nano-particular suspensions
- Investigations on the suitability of ultra high performance concrete for the production of gear wheels and roller bearings
Session 2 - Biology
- Circadian rhythms of subterranean mammals - the geomagnetic field (GMF) as a potential zeitgeber
- GeoBio-Interactions: Contributions to climatic change of the relations between activities of red wood ants (Formica rufa-group) and tectonic processes
- Can plants learn? Pavlovian conditioning without a brain
- Bacteriophages, the so far neglected part of our immune system
Session 3 - Chemistry
- pH measurement by proton counting
- Locking the Proton into a Self-Assembled Molecular Cage
- Protein crystallography without crystals: A novel molecular sieve for easy and rapid crystal structure determination of proteins
Session 4 - Biomedicine
- Molecular basis for assembly and action of 'nanocomputers' within human cells
- A feast within us: Targeting microbial interactions inside us to discover smarter therapeutic strategies
- Photosynthetic keratinocytes: light-powered oxygen for non-healing skin wounds
- The role of toothpaste surfactants for an increased risk of developing food allergies
Session 5 - Neuroscience & Mathematics
- Reawakening the Neuronal Growth Potential of the Adult Central Nervous System by Axonal Mechanostimulation
- Whole Brain Magnetism
- Mathematical optimization for fair, robust, and transparent electorial districting in Germany
The funding initiative 'Experiment!' was started in November 2012. The initiative is exceptionally well received with on average more than 500 applications per call. 67 projects have been funded so far: 13 out of 704 in 2013, 19 out of 630 in 2014, 17 out of 425 in 2015, and 18 out of 544 applications in 2016.